Saturday, January 01, 2005

"Reflections"

I just came bk from watching Corrinne May perform at the esplanade. I used to love her....for years her music has been my companion, through many ups n down. But after hearing her LIVE, I truly LOVE her now. I don't mean in a stalker fan way lah of course. I've always admired how she has accomplished so much....how she had the courage and determination to pursue her dream (she went to the prestigious Berklee Sch of Music in Boston). Now she's based in LA, working on her music. So un-Singaporean rite?? (in terms of being realistic n practical) I think tt's just awesome. haha!

Also, as a musician, she's an inspiration to me. I think truly GREAT music has to touch, has to communicate....deeply and sincerely. Its not just abt having brilliant skills, techniques...its conveying to pple what comes from deep inside. Somehow, Corrinne May does that so powerfully and yet effortlessly on her part. Every single one of her songs, have this ability to speak to you in such a personal way...in different seasons of your life. That's just so beautiful, to have that sort of connection. Not many singers have that....certainly not the majority of the trashy pop acts we hear on the radio. I can think of...perhaps the late Eva Cassidy and Sarah MacLachlan

Seems like such a simple revelation, but I think its reaffirmed one of my goals for Year 2005....to strive towards deep, sincere communication through my music. Its been my prayer, my dream to touch pple with God's love through my singing. I hope to work on my prose/poem/ song-writing too. Lately i think God has been revealing to me the power of honesty and vulnerability- Corrinne May's lyrics.....Gospel music (they don't censor the pain/ the struggles...yet in spite of it all, there's an amazingly solid, strong trust in God). At the end of the day, we ought to be real....and not just be 'happy, clappy robots'.

When we admit to ourselves and to God, that there are giants or mountains in our lives...and CHOOSE to rejoice in the midst of it, to trust God to deliver us, and to help us SOAR high above it all....i think that's true strength and faith.

It reminds me of Tolkien and LOTR too....its always a choice isn't it? To be good or evil...to hope or to give in to despair. I would like to end the 1st entry of 2005 with this line from Aragorn in LOTR- "There is ALWAYS hope". :) So to everyone out there, Blessed New Year. Hang on to your dreams, hang on to God....fight for what you believe in!

p/s: if you haven't heard Corrinne May, pls do yourself a favour and go to her webiste to hear her songs. They r gems! Singapore shld be so proud of her.
www.corrinnemay.com

No comments: