Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Road to Faerie

Searching for words to explain the ageless attraction of fairy tales, J.R.R Tolkien said:
" [Fairy tale] does not deny the existence of...sorrow and failure: the possibility of these is necessary to the joy of the deliverance; it denies (in the face of such evidence, if you will) universal final defeat...giving a fleeting glimpse of Joy, Joy beyond the walls of the world, poignant as grief."

". . . fairy-stories are not in normal English usage stories about fairies or elves, but stories about Fairy, that is Faƫrie, the realm or state in which fairies have their being. - J.R.R. Tolkien, "On Fairy Stories"


Recently, I've been toying with the idea of doing my Masters in Lit again. I usually brush that thought aside, as it's never felt right for me. But lately, I dunno...it feels different. Like I should get down to doing it. (i follow my gut a lot...and this job requires me to be quite intuitive, so bear with my language here)

If I were to do my Masters in Lit, I know I'd probably do my thesis on Tolkien's LOTR. Probably researching into the relevance/draw of myth/ fairy tales in modernity....which was an area I've written about before in my last term pper. This topic falls perfectly in line with my obsession with unicorns,stardust, and elves and other wondrous, magical creations. haha!

Perhaps, God is telling me now is the right time? Perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt for me? Perhaps I need to take that journey to recover that child within me? Perhaps I need to 'wipe my windows' and rediscover WONDER all over again.

No comments: