Monday, December 25, 2006

Pride & Prejudice

A few years ago, I would have told you without hesitation how much I abhor Jane Austen's novels....I avoided taking any 18th century period courses in my NUS Lit days because I couldn't bear Jane Austen and her characters' obsession with marriage and social classes. Well.....it seems like my sentiments have reversed entirely now, and its comically ironic how badly I wish I HAD taken those 18th century period courses.

I've been on a "Pride & Prejudice" rampage of late.....devouring the novel, the 2005 Keira Knightley film and the BBC mini-series (Yes, the Colin Firth one). I find myself falling in love with these classics as I get older....their world and culture was an immensely rich and complex one. (At this point, I truly yearn to visit the UK!!) It was the age of elegant manners and gallantry! (Gentlemen standing up whenever a lady enters or leaves a room. How fine!)
And oh...the language....where do I start? It's so refined, eloquent, fast and witty that it seems like a dance with words coming alive off the page. All of which makes for such a pleasurable, delightful read/ watch. I think I got rather 'high' just reading it. haha! People just don't speak like that anymore....how sad!

For example, what used to be "May I ask to what these questions intend?" (spoken by Mr Darcy), has been crudely reduced to 'Huh? You ask for what?' by Singaporeans. Sigh. Well, no point lamenting on the demise of good English in this post, for that would take up far too much space. Here are some of my favourite excerpts from the novel, accompanied by movie stills from the 2005 film.

I know the BBC Colin Firth Purists would detest my preference for the seemingly fluffy 2005 film adaptation, but I must say that the film grows on you.....cinematography is stunning, Keira Knightley brings refreshing youthfulness to the heroine Elizabeth Bennet (she was 20 years old when they filmed it, which makes her the same age as the character!), and Matthew Macfayden......sigh, he is just wonderful as Mr Darcy. Colin Firth's Darcy was all dark, stern and broody....but Macfayden's Darcy reveals just the right amount of tenderness and awkwardness of a man disoriented in love.

For a plot synopsis, view: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/pride/summary.html

Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy's first dance:
--------------------------------------------------------------
[Elizabeth Bennet] "I remember hearing you once say, Mr Darcy, that you hardly ever forgave, that your resentment once created was unappeasable. You are very cautious, I suppose, as to its being created."

[Mr Darcy] "I am," said he, with a firm voice.

"And never allow yourself to be blinded by prejudice?"
"I hope not."
"It is particularly incumbent on those who never change their opinion, to be secure of judging properly at first."
"May I ask to what these questions tend?"
"Merely to the illustration of your character," said she, endeavouring to shake off her gravity. "I am trying to make it out."
"And what is your success?"
"She shook her head. "I do not get on at all. I hear such different accounts of you as puzzle me exceedingly."

==================================================================

The world's best 2nd proposal in my opinion.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[Elizabeth Bennet]: "Mr Darcy, I am a very selfish creature; and for the sake of giving relief to my own feelings, care not how much I may be wounding your's. I can no longer help thanking you for your unexampled kindness to my poor sister. Ever since I have known it, I have been most anxious to acknowledge to you how gratefully I feel it. Were it known to the rest of my family, I should not have merely my own gratitude to express." [..............]

[Mr Darcy]: "If you will thank me," he replied, "let it be for yourself alone. That the wish of giving happiness to you, might add force to the other inducements which led me on, I shall not attempt to deny. But your family owe me nothing. Much as I respect them, I believe, I thought only of you."

Elizabeth was too much embarrassed to say a word. After a short pause, her companion added, "You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever."

No comments: