Monday, February 06, 2006

Can the child within my heart rise above?

I've discovered the Dixie Chicks!!:) And I'm so thrilled abt their music now! Who wld have thought that i'd be into country music eh?

[Well, I never thought I'd buy the Sheryl Crow Greatest Hits album either....but I did, much to May's amusement. Haha! And Sheryl Crow has worked with the Dixie Chicks, who have been featured in Lilith Fair as well....so perhaps it a really natural musical progression for me?]

The Dixie Chicks have really awesome vocals (Natalie Maine who is on lead has a remarkably clear, powerful and charismatic voice) and exquisite, tight harmonies! I love how they've recorded in a traditional, acoustic style...and its interesting to hear the sounds of the banjo, mandolin, fiddle, tin whistles etc.

[ to listen to the Dixie Chicks mp3s...go to my Multiply website at
http://jazzymoo.multiply.com/music ]

Finally, I'm quite impressed by the reflective, heartfelt lyrics with beautiful, sublime images interwoven in the story-telling.
*contented sigh*
A lot of their songs speak about growing up, finding one's identity, handling changes and the diff. seasons of life, relationships, love etc. Very ez to relate to. (Makes their CD a great one to play during road trips)

I dunno about you, but in the midst of all this growing up...I still feel like a little girl at heart...a little girl who longs for life to be simpler, for a safe place to call 'home', for comfort, laughter and love.....and this is a little girl who has to be jolted into the realities of adulthood. I'm 25, going on 26!!

Well, I know I'm not alone in this sentiment. :)
"Can the child within my heart rise above" indeed.


"Landslide"
=============

I took my love and I took it down
I climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love
Can the child within my heart rise above
Can I sail thru the changing ocean tides
Can I handle the seasons of my life

Chorus:
Well, I've been afraid of changing
'cause I built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I'm getting older too

So, take this love and take it down
Yeah and if you climb a mountain and ya turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well the landslide brought me down
And if you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well maybe
Well maybe
Well maybe the landslide will bring you down

==================================================================

"Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)"
===========================

Dragon tales and the "water is wide"
Pirate's sail and lost boys fly
Fish bite moonbeams every night
And I love you

Chorus:
Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams

The rocket racer's all tuckered out
Superman's in pajamas on the couch
Goodnight moon, we'll find the mouse
And I love you

God bless mommy and match box cars
God bless dad and thanks for the stars
God heard amen, wherever you are
And I love you

==================================================================

"Wide Open Spaces"
===================

Who doesn't know what I'm talking about
Who's never left home, who's never struck out
To find a dream and a life of their own
A place in the clouds, a foundation of stone

Many precede and many will follow
A young girl's dream no longer hollow
It takes the shape of a place out west
But what it holds for her, she hasn't yet guessed

[Chorus:]
She needs wide open spaces
Room to make her big mistakes
She needs new faces
She knows the high stakes

She travelled this road as a child
Wide eyed and grinning, she never tired
But now she won't be coming back with the rest
If these are life's lessons, she'll take this test

[Repeat Chorus]
She knows the high stakes

As her folks drive away, her dad yells, 'Check the oil!'
Mom stares out the window and says, 'I'm leaving my girl'
She says, It didn't seem like that long ago
When she stood there and let her own folks know

No comments: