Friday, February 24, 2006

Escapism

"Come Visit Australia, Dammit" (TODAY Newspaper, 24 Feb 2006)
==============================================================
The Australian government yesterday launched a multi-million dollar international advertising campaign that asks foreigners: "Where the bloody hell are you?"

The tourism promotion campaign will cost A$180 million and play in Germany, Japan, the United States, Britain and India.

Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said the tagline was "friendly" rather thatn offensive

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I was quite tickled by that article. Bless those Australians for having a sense of humour. haha! The article came at the right time too....just as Pammy was telling me abt "soaking up Oz culture" (my sweet love is so far away), and as I've been day-dreaming about Sydney again.

I wanna get away from S'pore
Fly myself to Aussie land...
Re-visit my cozy cottage in the Blue Mts
Wake up to chilly, misty mornings,
hot steaming coffee and scrambled eggs,
and a fluffy white cat on my porch!
I wanna go horse-riding and get lost
in a forest with wild kangaroos,
Stroll through beautiful gardens and
quaint antique shops.

I don't wanna deal with my work,
my mountain of 'stuff',
my separation anxiety from loved ones,
my struggles with 'growing up',
my own inertia...
This city is stifling
Take me away to a kinder place....

Australia beckons: "Where the bloody hell are you?"

No comments: