Friday, July 07, 2006

Words Actually

"Just deeds are the best answer to injurious words. "- John Milton

Words, words, words....how freely we utter them, with little thought for the impact they might have on others. It's a lesson that I'm continuously learning. I've been on the receiving end of caustic comments lately....and it's been shocking for me, (and I am often unable to react) because the people delivering them seem so casual and blasé when they make their comments. I wonder if they're even aware of the mean-ness that underlies their comments....some of them are probably not!

I'm not gonna judge these friends of mine...cos I know that I have a pretty acid tongue myself, which I am constantly trying to restrain. But these incidents have certainly made me reflect, and made me more aware of the power of the tongue, how it's really an outflow of our hearts...just as the bible says.

Luke 6:45
“A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it shall eat the fruit of it.

It's tough being a christian eh? We have to be responsible for our thoughts, our speech, and let it be consistent with our actions......since we're all accountable to God. Our God is so beautiful, that when He speaks, He speaks love and life into our hearts. I pray He can help me to do the same, and be more like Him.

3 comments:

Sngs Alumni said...

If one of them is me, I'm sorry, and I will try to be better... I LOVE YOU STILL!

Michelle-Lea said...

Eh? not you lah!!

Andrea Khoo said...

Thought I'd add another verse of scripture that really hit home to me when I faced something similar last month... While it reminded me to watch what I say, it also assured me that we can surrender the situation (and the person who may have wronged us) to the Lord.

Matt 12:34 - 37
For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.