Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Timmy!

Was hanging out at Timbre last Fri...and the "Timmy" band (featuring Ngak) was playing as usual. I haven't been there in ages, so hearing the usual + new songs was really enjoyable. I know they tend to repeat their songs, but people of my generation keep going back because we recognize and love the tunes man! It's like that 'Friends' hang-out place, 'Central Perk'! :)

Anyway, I felt inspired to compile a playlist of songs that the "Timmy" band would normally play at Timbre.....songs that are just plain 'feel good' and will make you wanna sing along; songs that will make you head-bang and groove along; songs that will make you nostalgic/melt/cry. :) They're all uploaded on my multiply website: http://jazzymoo.multiply.com/music
On Friday nite, they did a medley of Damien Rice's "The Blower's Daughter" with Radiohead's "Creep" (just the chorus)....and I thought that was absolutely brilliant! It fits so well! Why didn't anyone think of it before? :)

This is the full play-list:
===================
1) Have a nice day- Stereophonics
2) Friday I'm in love- The Cure
3) High and Dry- Radiohead
4) Chasing cars- Snow Patrol
5) You and me- Lifehouse
6) Yellow- Coldplay
7) Let there be love-Oasis
8) Mr Brightside- The Killers
9) Time is running out- Muse
10) Vertigo- U2 ("Hello, hello!! HOLAAAAA!!")
11) Elevation- U2
12) Stay- U2
13) You and I both- Jason Mraz
14) The Remedy (I won't worry)- Jason Mraz
15) My name is Luka- Suzanne Vega
16) Runaway Train- Soul Asylum
17) The Blower's Daughter- Damien Rice
18) Creep- Radiohead (this song is becoming such a classic rock anthem isn't it?)
19) Me, my Yoke- Damien Rice (from his latest album...a super intense song. the band really enjoyed plunging into this one)

I also stumbled upon the Timmy band's website at http://www.myspace.com/fmtimmy
Check out the ridiculously funny "Please Buy Me!" video and listen to the demo (which has an additional commentary by the band)! I was laughing so hard at the choreographed dance moves, Ngak's deadpan face, and Alan's (who wrote the song and sings lead) tongue-in-cheek references to the music industry! (The demo got harmony somemore leh! Wah biang! haha!) In case you're wondering, they are directing the song to Eric Ng (their electric guitarist and well-known local song-writer/producer)....while he's filming it as well.

You can also listen to 2 of Ngak's original songs on the website. I was quite impressed actually......not lyrically, but musically...it's quite solid. He's got quite a good ear for radio-friendly pop-rock tunes. I heard him play those 2 songs live at his esplanade concert...and his delivery for his original songs was so much more sincere and nuanced! Of course, it's all wasted on a typical S'porean audience....cos they only cheer for the covers that they recognise. *SIGH*

I'm gonna hang out at Timbre again this Fri...cos for once, I don't have to work on Sat, so I can stay out late without worries! Yayyyyy!!! :) Buzz me if you're going to head down too ok? The more the merrier! CHEERS!!

===================================================================
For those who have NEVER seen Timmy in action at Timbre...here's a video preview...courtesy of youtube. Of course, it's way better live. :)

A pretty decent cover of Muse's "Time is running out". It's quite tough to perform this song acoustically man....check out how they shred wood here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSsxoBqIdGM&mode=related&search=

Here's the full-band, electric version of the Muse song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullgNGllCTY&mode=related&search=

Probably the best video so far. An acoustic set of "Chasing cars", "Sunday Morning" and "Heaven"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blpItXD3oCQ&mode=related&search=

A cover of "1979"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMtCdndG5Ng

No comments: