Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Music that breaks your heart

"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated, but when you get the two of them together in a way people can relate to, then I think you're on to something. You want the sophistication to lie in the purity of the sound, the beauty of the arrangements, and the quality of the performances."
- Chris Botti on his new album, Italia.

Tonight was the long awaited night for the Chris Botti concert! (2nd time watching him for me) Abi and I were literally counting down the days, and the hours. haha! After I ended my class, we made a MAD DASH to the Esplanade. In our excitement, we banged into poor Rachael who got in our way at the office. I've never seen Abi walk that fast. Quite funny! Once we were comfortably in our seats at the concert hall....I said hi to a couple of frens who were there too. Audrey was seated right opposite me, across the hall. So we did the girly thing of waving dramatically...and to signal that I was with Abi, I spelt out 'A-B-I' with my hands. Abi joined in....and Audrey spelt it back from across the hall! Hilarious...machiam 'YMCA'.

At around 7.40pm...the lights dimmed, and the audience waited in anticipation for Chris Botti and the band to take the stage. You could literally hear the collective female swoon when Chris walked on stage with his trumpet, dressed smartly in his tailored black suit, crisp white shirt and skinny black tie. A winning classic look, and he cut such a dashing figure in it. Ok...shall stop gushing. Moving on to the music....

Chris' first performance here was in Oct 2006, at the Victoria Theatre. For his second concert at the Esplanade (a much better venue), he returned with pretty much the same band...and what a world-class, top-notch band they are! We were truly in the presence of some musical greats!

Musician List
==========
Chris Botti- Trumpet
Billy Childs- Piano
Billy Kilson- Drums
Mark Whitfield- Guitar
Bob Hurst- Bass
LaShanda Rena- Vocals

Here's what I can recollect of the set list. It's not complete as I couldn't remember/identify some of his older songs.

Set list
=====
Ave Maria
When I fall in love
Flamenco Sketches (Miles Davis)
Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley)
A thousand kisses deep (Leonard Cohen)
My funny Valentine
What'll I do (feat. LaShanda Rena on vocals)
The look of love (feat. LaShanda Rena on vocals)
Caruso
Why not
Cinema Paradiso (Encore)

It was a very well planned set I thought.....comprising of songs that span Chris Botti's entire career, and showcasing his dazzling versatility. Within 90 mins, the band effortlessly flowed between different musical genres- jazz, classical, soul, funk, and even rock on one of Chris older songs. It was quite a journey for the audience! :) Although I heard some of the songs performed here during the first concert, the band still managed to blow me away with impressive new arrangements. And not only are they still sounding fresh....they band is now tighter than ever, and playing with a more soulful, groovier feel! Their solos were mind-boggling too. Abi kept going "STEADY AH" during the concert. haha!

It was simply magical to witness the intuitive synergy among the band...watching them dance around each other's melodic and rhythmic lines. One thing about this awesome band, is how graciously they give each other space to shine. They don't neccessarily have to play a lot, or very loudly...but when they play, every note and beat counts. It's also amazing how they're able to create lush atmospheres with a 5 piece band. They're so skillful and expressive, that I often found myself just closing my eyes, to breathe in the music....and it's music that goes so deep into the soul. As Chris Botti said, it's "music that breaks your heart"....with its poignant expression and sheer beauty. (And yes, I was moved to tears on many occasions.) He's truly an inspiring artiste who causes one to fall in love with music all over again. :)

Chris Botti is really gifted at connecting and engaging with the audience. I always enjoy it when he shares the background behind the songs (he is so knowledgeable!), and even his personal stories or anecdotes. His charismatic presence, great passion for music, and easy, humourous banter with the audience had us hooked. haha!

Kudos to the band too for being so entertaining with their playful antics! At one point, Billy Kilson, the drummer, went missing! Just as they were about to play "A Thousand Kisses Deep" *horror of horrors* Guess he gave himself a long break. So Chris had to stall for time, by stretching out his banter and asking the audience if we had seen the slow-moving drummer. haha! When he finally STROLLED back to his place, Chris flashed him a dirty look while playing on his trumpet. The audience burst out in laughter. At other points, the band was dancing, jumping, even 'flying' (yes, it was the electric guitarist Mark Whitfield) around on stage. They were clearly having a ball, and they were just sheer joy to watch. I love it when musicians really enjoy the music. :)

The closing song was the big band number "Why Not" which allowed Billy Kilson, to wow the audience with his fantastic, entertaining drum solo. Once they ended, the audience cheered loudly, and rose to their feet immediately to give Chris and band a well-earned standing ovation. I screamed myself hoarse that night...haha! Chris really brings out the groupie in me. But man, if you were there..you'd understand. THEY WERE SO GOOD!

As the encore, Chris Botti played "Cinema Paradiso" and dedicated it to this pregnant woman's baby...she was due in 5 weeks. He actually stepped off stage to play to her! At that point, you could hear all the females in the audience go "Awwww". haha! Billy Childs who accompanied Chris on the piano, spontaneously tweaked this delivery of the song to sound like a lullaby, surprising even Chris I think. Brilliant! The evening ended with a second standing ovation for Chris Botti and band. By then, everyone was feeling quite high I think. :)

What a splendid night! :) I can't wait to hear him live again. [Well, he did say 'hope to see you soon!' So I think he quite liked us?] Till then, I'm inspired to work harder on my music! :) Yes, Chris passionately advocates the importance of diligent practice....and you can see how he lives it out.

p/s: Apparently...our dear Corrinne May was spotted at the concert too. Yes, she's in town...but not to give a concert. Can you hear Muffin Boy's cries of protest? He's seriously having withdrawals symptoms. :p

No comments: