Monday, July 13, 2009

Fluffy: Its (Singaporean) Origins

Dawnie's 3rd guest blog post. This is soooooo close to my heart, for obvious reasons. haha! So whimsical, so heartwarming! Love it! :)
==========================================================
By Dawn Wong

Of late, the name "Fluffy" has been hanging off the lips of Mich's friends. May I henceforth put forth that it was I, ahem, yes I, who used the term "Fluffy" to refer to "beings that cause our hearts to melt like...caramel". Fluffy is Joel Houston to Mich, and Fluffy is...well, what Fluffy is to me is secret to you. So anyways, I cannot claim credit to inventing Fluffy because Fluffy came from the movie "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist", which Mich and I watched (not together, but we did know that we would somehow watch it, cos it was That Type of music movie.) In the movie, Nick and Norah - indie music freaks - fall in love with each other while chasing an elusive rock band that goes by the name of "Where's Fluffy?". You had to follow hints all around town to find the venue where they were playing. So, unless you were a die-hard fan, you would have just fallen by the roadside, wilted and died. One clue was found in the toilet of a pub, written and drawn in liquid paper (a rabbit and some words) on the door of the toilet. Which also means that, unless you were facing the door while doing your business, you would have totally missed it.

Although I didn't create Fluffy, I do have my evolving theories (and grammar) about All Things Fluffy. And these theories (and grammar) pop up only during msn conversations in the wee hours of the morning with Mich, my friend. Fluffy used to be a noun, but we've made it a verb. So if you Fluffy me, means you really dig me lah. And just a few minutes ago, I've realised that Fluffy needs to be elusive in order for it to qualify as a real Fluffy. Like I had a Fluffy who, sadly or not I'm not sure, doesn't quite qualify anymore. Because I chose to do something else over Fluffy. And like I told Mich, Fluffy has lost its fluffiness because Fluffy and I are friends now. But of course, Mich thinks that even if Joel Houston becomes her friend, he will still be Fluffy. Well, I'm sceptical. I still think my Fluffy theory stands.

And seriously, if you read my post until here, you really don't think that my words are fluff. Right or not? Go fluffify, whatever that means :)

=================================================================

And just for the record:

Mich's Fluffy= Joel Houston
Darren's Fluffy= Henry Seeley (yes, I know how salah that sounds)
Muffin's Fluffy= Brooke Fraser

6 comments:

kit said...

cos mich insisted tt i post this, i said, "i is been fluffified." yeah, which means i now use the term 'fluffy', much to my chagrin. it's amazing how the kind of people you mix around with can mess u up so.

heeheeehee.

just for the record, no fluffy in sight for me atm.

-amelia

Nigel said...

Hey actually.. my fluffy is my cousin. Heh.

Nigel said...

Er.. my 'cousin'.

Michelle-Lea said...

For those who dunno...Nigel means Reuben Morgan. Marcus....where's the comment Dawnie has commanded you to leave?? haha!

marc's the name said...

Because Dawnie was super nice and sent me home just now.. Here goes! Read your post! So well written.. Haha.. Anyway, I know who your 'secret' fluffy is lo! It's not secret at all, unless you changed fluffy!

Dawn said...

dearest marcus, you know how to "be people" (read: zoh lang)...