Monday, June 07, 2010

Church@Work: Love On The Move

The youths performing a song item for the elderly at Peace Haven Nursing Home. They spent 7 rehearsals preparing for the song items/mime/ dances and testimonies.

Last Weds was probably one of the most fun and rewarding days at work. I've never really liked intensive desk bound work, so when I heard that the video crew was gonna spend 2 full days filming MegaLife's (RiverLife's youth ministry) new project, "Church@Work," I jumped at the opportunity and hopped on to the church van for a fun 'excursion.' :)

Church@Work is all about tearing down the four walls of our church building, getting out into the community, to show God's love in action, hence the tagline, "Love On the Move." The kids planned for weeks for their cell-based projects, and from the 31 May to 5 June, they went to various voluntary welfare organisations to bless the poor, underprivileged and those forgotten by society. They packed and distributed food to the elderly; they ran camps for youth-at-risk and the kids of prisoners; they took Down Syndrome patients to Marina Barrage to fly kites; they spent time with patients at IMH/ the disabled and more.

It's kinda like our own version of the I Heart Revolution...which got me really excited, cos its about time we see past ourselves to serve and love a world in need. And its just fantastic that our youths are leading the way in this movement. I hope and pray the rest of the church catches on too.

It was heartwarming to see the kids stepping out of their comfort zone, getting past their fears to share the love of Christ. It took a lot of courage for them to visit and chat with people they were not naturally comfortable with or had language barriers with...but they did it with such compassion and a cheerful spirit. I'm so proud of our MegaLifers! :)

Joshua and Cassandra filming Benedict (L) and Zac (R) in a video interview

I think they were also surprised to have a full media crew tagging along behind them (writers; art director; photographers + video crew) but it probably encouraged them too. Quite a few of the youths whom I know from worship ministry surrounded me excitedly with wide-eyed smiles, "Michelle, what are you doing here?" (And even those who didn't know me personally, just randomly came up to me saying, "Hey, you look familiar!" And some other kid would go, "She's a vocalist in the worship ministry lah!" haha! Wah, not shy these kids. Gotta love them!) And when I chatted with them/interviewed them to capture their testimonies based on this experience, they were even more excited to share. It really touches me when I see them opening up like that...our youths are such a great bunch, and sometimes, they're just waiting for us to express our interest and concern in their lives. :)

Well, this video shoot was a wonderful experience I must say...made quite a few new friends too. Like Benedict and Zac (both 13 years old) who really cracked me up. They were like a pair of stand-up comedians. They even asked for $ to buy drinks from the vending machine as 'payment' for the video interview. And when Cass passed them the coins, they were SOOOO happy they were bopping up and down. Now if only all of us could be that easily contented? haha!

MegaLifers outside Peace Haven Nursing Home at the end of their project

Finally, this video shoot was a wonderful opportunity to spend some time 'in the field' with my youth writers/photographers who are covering Church@Work for a new youth-driven publication. Yeah, it was like overnight, God entrusted me with this new bunch of youth writers/photographers. And its so much more than getting the writing/photography done or helping them to grow in their talents, I've come to realise that its about shepherding them. They're a real promising brunch...some of them are kinda shy or have low self-esteem, and it seems like this seed effort for a Youth Creative Arts ministry could really be a platform for us to draw them out of their shell, to flourish as artists in the house of God, and to pull them into deeper community.

I'm beginning to realise that its the pastoral element of my job, the relational aspect that makes me feel fulfilled, more than the operations side of it. I'm thankful for opportunities like these..and I'm praying that God continues to grow my heart for His people. :)

No comments: