Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hush, Hush

Yes, I've gone and done it. I've completely lost my voice. Perhaps some of you know already, I had flu 2 weeks back...thought I recovered...then it became this annoying postnasal drip and cough.....which forced me into taking M.C, led to some partial loss of my voice over the weekend, and cancellation of Sat classes. Thankfully, the voice recovered by Sun, and I taught my 3 classes as usual yesterday. But after that....I guess the voice was in shock, and as a sure sign of protest, it just quit working altogether. Classes had to be cancelled and rescheduled again today. Felt sooooo bad for the hassle I created for the admin staff and the students.

Just when you think things can't possibly get any worse....I kinda twisted my ankle on the way to the clinic (which was closed), 'cos I missed a step. haha! But I don't think that is very serious. No worries.

Ah well...now I'm reduced to a combination of sign language and whispers. Feel so handicapped. It's funny how those around me end up whispering and using sign language too when THEY can speak perfectly fine. haha! In fact, the coaches deliberately WHISPERED Dorcas' birthday song during her celebration just now, so that I wouldn't feel left out. It has brought me some amusement in the midst of this misery. I also really appreciated my boss's prayer for me.....which went something like this:

"God, I know that You lead us through trials for a reason....to prepare us for something bigger. I pray that during this season, Michelle will be able to hear Your voice with even greater clarity. And although You can't use her voice now, I know You'll use her heart and her writing as she plans the syllabus. Keep her close to Your heart God. Amen"

I was deeply touched by that.....the thought that God could use my heart, more than my voice.

Thank God for Priscilla, my trainee coach too. Who has been cheerfully easing my teaching load during this time. Am soooo glad she's here to help me!

And of course, there's dear Berno.....she's been my guardian angel. Since she knows me almost telepathically, she's become my VOICE in the office. haha! For instance, this afternoon Danny taunted me with funny looks, knowing full well I cannot answer. So I let out this barely audible squeak of protest, and Berno came to my defence! Berno also accompanied me to buy dinner, cos I can't order for myself. Bless the gal...she understands my thoughts, pokes, squeaks and even thinks its cute that I am mute for now.

Finally, thanks everyone for your concern. It's been most heart-warming. Erm, just don't call me ok? You know I can't talk now. (Audrey made the mistake of calling me mah. Funny that girl!)

Please continue to pray for me....I'll need super-fast, miraculous healing in time for the rest of my classes this week. I'm running of time-slots to re-schedule my classes. I know I need to clock in some proper rest time....but it's a concept that I'm still trying to understand cos I literally get stressed that I'm sick and can't teach, and it results in 'restless rest' if you get what I mean. I'm always on the go....and I just get so frustrated when I'm forced to do nothing. Oh man....God help me. I'm still learning how to breathe....

1 comment:

Andrea Khoo said...

Oh no...hope you're feelling better now, my dear :) Sometimes God makes us shut down to force us to rest! Don't worry, the classes will sort themselves out. *Hugs*