Friday, November 18, 2005

Afterglow

Heya! Here's an update of me life...

1) I'm feeling sick again...well, I don't think I've ever fully recovered actually. Not a pleasant feeling...pretty frustrating. Add on to that cramps/ headaches/ grouchiness...(yah lah, tt time of the mth! ha!)

Some of the simple comforts I indulge in during this period (pun NOT intended)....a warm cup of Marks n Spencer's Acacia honey (supermkt brands cannot make it) and Marks n Spencer's "Milk Chocolate Digestive Biscuits". Yeah....warm n fuzzy food! :)

2) Suffering from Sydney hang-over. Or mebbe it's just plain ol' escapism, which is very me lah. I've been fantasizing about taking a long long break from my job...and going to Sydney to chill out for a few mths. Perhaps go there and work in a 2nd-hand/ antique/ rare bookshop like "Berkelouw Books" (they've been ard since 1812 wor!) or even in one of those old, traditional libraries!!

I think it's such a fabulous idea! LOL! Being surrounded by books gives me such a thrill....all that knowledge, history, culture...oohh *chills*. Yes...I know I sound like such a geek now. haha! I love this pic from Eunice's blog....really captures my love affair with all things literary! Thanks Eunice for the collage!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The blue John Donne bk ("Poems of Love") that I'm holding up there...is my prized discovery from a 2nd-hand Sydney bkshop. So beautiful rite? Esp. the intricate silver cross pattern.


3) Hanging out with my Aunt and cousins from Sabah. (yes, the Sabah-hans are in town...and taking Orchard rd by storm. haha!) I love my paternal family man. They've really been a source of joy, encouragement, support and unconditional love. :)

I remember when I was in Uni...my Dad was retrenched...and i was broke, no pocket money. My aunts came along and helped me out financially. As it turned out, I got richer when THEY supplied me with pocket money...as compared to what my dad used to give me. Ironical eh? But yeah...they're generous like dat. *sobz*


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
That's me and my Aunt Rena...having a cuppa and tonnes of sinful ice-cream at Haagen Daaz.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
That's my naughty cousin Sabrina...only 14 yrs old i believe...and she's towering over me already. Some pple have all the right genes. Sheesh!

4)My lesson of the week...after a pretty difficult wk. "God is my safety net". I can't protect myself from every single 'fall'/ hurt....sometimes u just gotta let go, and be prepared to be vulnerable. At the end of the day...God's gonna catch me if I fall.

Having said that...I've also learnt that we need each other in this journey. So many things have happened to me and my friends in the past wk....and it's so touching to see the ways in which we stand by each other (even in the midst of our own struggles), and touch each other's lives. Wow...the Word of God is so true...

"Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labour.
For if they fall, one will lift up his companion."
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

"A friend loves at all times,
And a brother is born for adversity." Proverbs 17:17


5) Listening and watching Sarah McLachlan CDs/ DVDs. I think i'm falling in love with her lor. She blows me away! She is so captivating...her voice is so arresting, haunting and her lyrics are soooo sensitive and beautiful. I wish I could write like her....look at what she said to describe her latest album "Afterglow":

"When you look up Afterglow in the dictionary, it is defined as 'the glow or light that remains once the sun is gone'. You're used to this bright, shiny beautiful glow but the moment the sun disappears, all of a sudden you have to readjust everything. It's a very transitional moment. A lot of these songs are about transition...the turning over of the rock, what's underneath, the murky, shadowy uncertainty where everything looks very different."
- Sarah McLachlan

This is my fav track from her album "Afterglow"...and she mentions on her website that it is her fav song as well:

"'Answer' is one of my favorites", she admits, smiling broadly. "It's a total 'two o'clock in the morning, whispered in your ears' headphone track. That's always been my thing, feeling the very essence of a song. I have to be able to break it down and still feel its strength acoustically on piano or guitar. If the essence is strong, you can do whatever you want with it, it'll still be good. "

Very poignant song...and the honesty, the sense of fragile hope in the lyrics are just heart-breaking.


Answer (Sarah McLachlan)
===========================

I will be the answer at the end of the line
I will be there for you while you take the time
In the burning of uncertainty I will be your solid ground
I will hold the balance if you cant look down

If it takes my whole life I wont break I wont bend
Itll all be worth it worth it in the end
Cause I can only tell you what I know
that I need you in my life
When the stars have all gone out
youll still be burning so bright

Cast me gently into morning
For the night has been unkind
Take me to a place so holy
That I can wash this from my mind
The memory of choosing not to fight

If it takes a whole life I wont break I wont bend
Itll all be worth it worth it in the end
Cause I can only tell you what I know
That I need you in my life
And when the stars have all burned out
Youll still be burning so bright
Cast me gently into morning for the night has been unkind

No comments: