Thursday, January 05, 2006

"Be Still, My Soul"

Words by Katharine von Schlegel, 1697-?
Music by Jean Sibelius, 1865-1957

"In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength"- Psalm 46:10

I love these beautiful old hymns....they resonante with such depth of feeling, rich Christian experience and faithfulness in Scriptural expression.

I've been listening to Ginny Owens' rendition of this hymn...very tender indeed.

May and Rie: Yes....I'm revisiting Ginny Owens again. So amazing tt May watched Felicity, introduced me to Ginny Owens, then I intro to Rie in Langkawi. :) Rie: I really related to your post on "This Road". Sometimes I feel as if I'm bk where I started again, the same place....remember Langkawi and "If you want me to"? But then....I realize, that I'm not the same person...I hope I've grown since then. Hang in there dearie!

===================================================================
Be still, my soul
The Lord is on thy side
Bear patiently, the cross of grief or pain
Leave to thy God, to order and provide
In every change, He faithful will remain
Be still my soul
They best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end

Be still my soul
Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake
All now mysterious shall be bright at last
Be still, my soul
The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below

Be still, my soul
The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gon
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored
Be still my soul
When change and tears are past
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last

2 comments:

hold up the sky said...

Langkawi will always remain a special place, as will Ginny. But yeah, we've so grown since then, and I think we're all in a better place, better space and time. Its been a long road we've taken, good to have friends to make it with. :) Wuv ya.

Sngs Alumni said...

Eh, it wasn't just Felicity okay, it was Felicity AND ROSWELL, you know, that ALIEN show! Haha! And I can't remember which show I first heard the song on... I'm guessing that it was on Roswell first, then on Felicity, though I can remember the scene in Roswell where the song came on, but not for Felicity, which means that I could have heard it on Felicity first, then Roswell. But I think I would be a little more fanatic about finding the song if it were on Felicity. Too bad the show went downhill (Ben/Noel? Noel/Ben? Oh, I don't know, let me cut my hair! Sickening.)