Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Journey of Worship

This is an overdue blog post....but I was too tired to blog about it earlier. So here it goes. :) Last weekend, I attended the Tim Hughes & Planetshakers worship concert at Expo, and the Worship Central Conference (featuring Tim Hughes & Al Gordon) at Faith Methodist Church. [In case you didn't know, Tim Hughes is a Brit worship leader who wrote the well-known worship anthem "Here I am to worship", as well as other songs like "Consuming Fire", "God of justice" and "Beautiful One".]

Tim led us through a great time of worship with a very well-chosen set. He chose a few of his songs like "Oh Happy Day", "Here I am to worship", "Beautiful One"....and mixed them with other familiar favourites like "Mighty to save" and "One way" by Hillsong. I love how real and unassuming these Brit worship leaders are. :) No airs, no need for hype. Awesome.

During the conference, Tim Hughes taught a workshop titled "The Journey of Worship" which covered the theology of worship. It was also a time where he shared very humbly and honestly, his heartbeat for worship and the church. And of course, his anecdotes were littered with witty Brit humour, and quotes by great literary figures like G.K Chesterton...all of which I thoroughly enjoyed. :) I was very blessed by his sharing and teachings....and here are a few of my notes from that session:

1) Tim was talking to a Bishop in Manila about the Westminister Catechism which states:
"Q. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever."
The Bishop made a little amendment to that statement, which somehow made it a lot more powerful.

"Man's chief end is to glorify God BY enjoying Him forever."

2) "God is calling us to a passionate love affair"- G.K Chesterton
- worship is first and foremost about an intimate relationship with God.
- It's heart to heart, being undone. Honesty, vulnerability.
- It's important to give people SPACE for intimacy with God in worship.

3) All of creation is praising God with an eternal song (Job 38:6-8; Isaiah 55:12, Ps 93:3, Rev 5:13). When we lift up our songs unto God, we are joined in harmony with the eternal song of creation...we become part of something bigger.

4) Never neglect the secret place, actively pursue space with God.
- that's how we become fully alive, and that's our best gift to the church.

5) Set aside a 'creative day' to simply enjoy God and work on your craft, meet with other musicians/songwriters.

6) Worship is caught, not just taught.
- we set ourselves on fire for God at the start of the day, and the world watches us burn throughout the day.

====================================================================
After the conference...God led me to meditate on Psalm 138 which seemed to sum everything up and relate to my walk with Him during this season. I've been chewing on the nuggets of truth in this Psalm for a week now....and here are a few things that I've learnt.

1) It's so easy for us to assume the semblance of godliness....especially for those of us who are serving heavily in church, or are on full-time staff/ working for christian organizations. But the first verse in Psalm 138 reminds us that we must praise God with our WHOLE HEART....and not just part of it.

2) Worship is truly a journey which will take each of us on different paths in life...but the end point is always the same- God's heart. I'm clinging to that promise in vs 8..."The LORD will perfect that which concerns me." From ashes to beauty. :)

Psalm 138
A Psalm of David.
1 I will praise You with my whole heart;
Before the gods I will sing praises to You.
2 I will worship toward Your holy temple,
And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
3 In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
And made me bold with strength in my soul.

4 All the kings of the earth shall praise You, O LORD,
When they hear the words of Your mouth.
5 Yes, they shall sing of the ways of the LORD,
For great is the glory of the LORD.
6 Though the LORD is on high,
Yet He regards the lowly;
But the proud He knows from afar.

7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me;
You will stretch out Your hand
Against the wrath of my enemies,
And Your right hand will save me.
8 The LORD will perfect that which concerns me;
Your mercy, O LORD, endures forever;
Do not forsake the works of Your hands.

No comments: