Monday, October 13, 2008

Lifehouse @ St James Powerhouse

Jason Wade on Lead Vox + Guit, and Rick Woolstenhulme on drums

Last Sat, Abi, Muffin, Glenn, Shenna & myself caught Lifehouse in concert at St James Powerhouse. Bumped into Jet, Guitar Ben & Shujun there as well. I must say, the band was truly awesome....they gave us 110% of themselves, and it made for an amazing performance. They were superbly tight (say "kena" with me! haha!)....and hearing Jason Wade's expressive vocals live was jaw dropping. I'm so glad they sang my favourite songs, "Whatever it takes", "Storm" and "Broken."

While we were really lucky to be so near the stage....I thought the venue really sucked. There was hardly ANY space for the audience in front of the stage. If you got there late, too bad...you can hardly see a thing (at $72 a ticket, this was a total rip-off). A first class band like Lifehouse really deserved much better event organisation. It got way too cramped & crowded for my liking, and the stupid pple taking photos, and shoving their lens in my face and back really annoyed me. I seriously don't get this obsession with photo-taking during a gig!!! I understand if you wanna take some photos of the event for memories...but how do these pple enjoy the concert when they're behind a lens the ENTIRE concert?? Arghh.

But still, Lifehouse gave us a performance of a life-time...and I don't think we'll ever get a chance to get so up-close with them again. Lifehouse ended the night with "Broken", at the audience's request. And I left the concert amazed at how Jason Wade got the whole audience, many of whom are non-believers, singing along to his beautifully positive & hopeful lyrics at the top of their lungs.

"I'm falling apart, barely breathing
With a broken heart, that's still beating
In the pain, there is healing
In Your name, I find meaning
So I'm holding on..."- 'Broken' by Lifehouse

Isn't that so powerful?? I know many of them might not understand the lyrics fully...but at least its positive you know, unlike say Damien Rice's suicidal lyrics. And it might just pique their curiosity to find out more. :) Songs shape our thoughts and feelings, so songwriters can have such an impact and influence upon people's lives. Powerful stuff. :)

Read more detailed reviews of the concert on:
==========================================
Abi's blog
Glenn's blog (and this is a really hilarious post cos poor unfortunate Glenn ended up standing next to 2 lesbians, and he saw them making out during the love ballads. haha!)

Nice shot of Jason smiling and having a good time

Ben Carey from Australiaaaa! Yeahhh!

My fav shot!!! A fantastic moment with Jason and Bryce sharing the mike and shredding wood.

And they're about to do the famous coordinated rocker jump at the end of the song! haha!

Beautiful shot of Jason immersed in the music

Jason looks like Marty Sampson in this worshippy shot

Bryce Soderberg!!! God bless bassists! haha! I love this guy!! He had a very solid sound, loads of presence and charisma. He really rocked out that night! :) "Whatever it Takes" wouldn't be the same without Bryce. And he even sang lead vocals for "Bridges," which I'm totally lovin' now!

The band saying goodbye

I dunno how this happened, but the effect is quite cool. Those are my feet on the left, and Glenn's on the right. If you stare closely...you can also see Muffin's t-shirt (the colourful fonts)!

My Lifehouse Groupies!! L-R: Abi, Muffin, Me, Glenn

More photos on Abi's flickr (she took 600+ photos! mad!)

No comments: