Sunday, April 23, 2006

Paradise Lost

"Who were the two artists of ancient times who competed to see who could paint the visible world most faithfully? 'Now I shall prove to you that I am the best,' said the first, showing the other a curtain which he had painted. 'Well, draw back the curtain,' said the adversary, 'and let us see the picture.' 'The curtain is the picture,' replied the first with a laugh." - Nikos Kazantzakis

"In the history of humanity there are no civilizations or cultures which fail to manifest, in one of a thousand ways, this need for an absolute that is called heaven, freedom, a miracle, a lost paradise to be regained, peace, the going beyond History...There is no religion in which everyday life is not considered a prison; there is no philosophy or ideology that does not think we live in alienation...Humanity has always had a nostalgia for the freedom that is only beauty, that is only real life, plenitude, light."
-Eugene Inoesco

"And try to be happy by being admired by men, or loved by women, or warm with liquor, or full of lust, or getting possessions and treasures: that turns you away, soon, from the love of God then men, women, and drink and lust and greed take precedence over God; and they darken His light....
And then we are unhappy and afraid and angry and fierce, and impatient, and cannot pray, and cannot sit still. That is the bitter yoke of sin: and for this we leave the mild and easy yoke of Christ." - Thomas Merton


Heaven (Los Lonely Boys)
=====================
" Save me from this prison
Lord help me get away
'Cause only you can save me now
From this misery

Well I've been lost in my own place
And I'm getting weary
How far is heaven?
And I know that I need to change
My ways of lving
How far is heaven?
Lord, can you tell me?

Tu que estas en alto cielo, hechame tu bendicion"
[ translated from Spanish: you that's in a higher place, send me down a blessing]

No comments: