Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Timeless Complexity

This is a really cool discovery! Sometimes we humans need to be reminded that God exists outside of time. :)

===================================================================
From Philip Yancey's "Prayer- Does it Make Any Difference?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physicist Stephen Hawking cites with approval Augustine's notion that any God must exist outside of time. We humans are confined to a space-time universe that began at a moment of time, but God is not......

How does God's timelessness affect prayer? C.S Lewis decided it altogether reasonable to pray at noon for a medical consultation that might have been conducted at ten o'clock as long as we do not know the final result before we pray. 'The event certainly has been decided- in a sense it was decided "before all worlds." But one of the things taken into account in deciding it, and therefore one of the things that really cause it to happen, may be this very prayer that we are now offering.' Lewis notes such a notion would be less shocking to modern scientists than to non-scientists.

2 comments:

Sngs Alumni said...

I agree I agree I agree and I always pray like this! I came to the same conclusion when I was in JC - does this mean that I am as smart as CS Lewis???:)

Michelle-Lea said...

Ermmm....*silence*