Thursday, June 11, 2009

No Fluffy For Mich

"Though I have not seen him...my heart knows him well."- 'Soon' by Brooke Fraser

I have a stellar history when it comes to unfortunate timing with concerts.
  • The Police & Switchfoot concerts (note plural) clashed with my Sydney/Melb trip in Feb 2008
  • Singfest 2008 (featuring Jason Mraz) clashed with my KL trip for the Passion Conference (featuring Chris Tomlin) in August 2008. And Reuben Morgan ALMOST came to RiverLife during that eventful weekend too.
  • My cell member's wedding dinner (Seng) clashed with the Hillsong United concert in May 2008. (I badly wanted to go watch Joel...but I asked myself, "What Would Joel Do?" and figured that he would want me to attend my cell mber's wedding. And so...I went for the wedding dinner while I wistfully smsed Glenn for live updates from Expo.)
  • Rewind to 2006<<.....my birthday celebration clashed with the Hillsong United concert at The Rock Auditorium. There was no publicity for this one...so I really found out very last min.
  • Fast forward to 2010>>....The church is supposedly scheduling Cheryl & I to go for the Willow Creek Arts Conference. BUT...Hillsong United are the featured band THIS year. In fact, my colleagues are watching them there right now.
Looks like this year I won't get to see Joel (aka Fluffy) live for the umpteenth year running. :( I was anticipating 25th July for many months....but I recently found out that it clashes with RiverLife's Young Adult Outreach Event, which I'm singing for. In fact, everyone whom I was looking forward to attend the Hillsong United concert with is pretty much stuck in church with me.

And so...my anticipation turned to deep sorrow. Maybe I'll never meet Joel this side of heaven. Will never get to hear and sing "Tear down the walls," Solution," "With Everything" live. *sobz* Such is life. I'll have to ask myself, "What Would Joel Do" AGAIN this year. And yes...Joel, who believes in the power of the local church, would want me to support my church in this impt event. Having caught the heartbeat of Hillsong United, its time for me to live it out and put it into practice.


Still...my heart is aching, especially when I listen to Hillsong United songs. Only Dawnie understands and doesn't think me nuts. Thank you gal! And for those of you who think that I'm so crushed simply because I won't get to see Joel....it's really more than that lah. The vision and music of Hillsong United has always inspired and ministered deeply to me....perhaps more than any other Christian music. And worship experiences with a Hillsong team have always refuelled me the most. So yeah...I was really looking forward to that.

There's nothing I can do now except to add more 'woh-oh-ohs' into the choir arrangement for next wk's set, in tribute to Joel.

What People Are Saying:
=====================
Rox: Am I just gonna have to admire him on youtube for the rest of my life?!?!?!

Dawnie: You have to fight for Fluffy!! Can you pontang? Or take leave lah! Or swop with someone!

Cheryl: Let's ask Jackson to change the date of the outreach event!

Glenn: When I'm in Hillsong College next yr, and I get the chance to make friends with Joel, I'll make sure he knows about you. Then when he visits S'pore, we'll take him out for local food.

Darren: Ehh....but Joel Houston's quite ugly leh. (so says the Henry Seeley fan)
Mich & Nicholas: *drop jaw* BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!!!!
(Marcus said: Only Darren has the guts to say this kinda thing to you. He never die before!)

No comments: