Saturday, June 10, 2006

21 Things

I got tagged by Rie to share 21 things that have happened to me since 1st Jan 2006. Yupz, we all like to do 'quizzes' like these. heh! This particular quiz has helped me to pause and reflect on the past yr though.....so tt was gd. Ok...so here's the list....some points are deep, some are just plain frivalous. :)

===================================================================

1) I've realized anew that it's a huge blessing, and relief to find solace in music. Sometimes, the music is really your most constant and loyal friend when you're at your lowest.

When no one is there, you just pick up that guitar/keyboard and sing a tune....and *magic*....immediate comfort! I know that sounds really dark....but I think music folk will attest to the truth of that statement. Anyway, it was my boss who mentioned it....and i was furiously nodding my head in absolute agreement. There is something profound and deeply spiritual about music.

2) I attended a worship conference 2 wks back, "Saturate"....and it's really been a while since I've gone to one. It was a very simple affair....but the song-writing workshop really moved and refreshed me. The speaker, Ben Gowell (who has such a gorgeous, warm singing tone, and is incredibly cute and who plays guitar for Paul Baloche. I was smitten...but he's married. Darn darn!), mentioned a few memorable quotes that really revived a forgotten dream in my heart:

"song-writing is a great responsibility...it's about putting words into the mouths of God's people"

"Never underestimate small moments of inspiration....keep a song-writing journal"

"Always be tuned in to the spiritual realm"

"Song-writing is life set to music"

"the best songs are honest songs"

Hence, one of my key bible verses for the year is:
" My heart is overflowing with a good theme;
I recite my composition concerning the King;
My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." -Psalm 45:1

3) My best friend Lishan has claimed that I'm subconsciously becoming like my mother, who loves to decorate spaces. Now that I have my own desk at the office....I've been bringing ridiculous things like pink cushions; pink teddy bear chairs (yes, seriously. haha!), photo frames, potpurri, Lord of the rings calendars/bkmarks....to make my work space more homely and comfy. Like my boss observed from my personality test results, I have a strong nesting instinct. haha!

4) Like quite a few of you out there, I've been on a dvd TV series/sitcom rampage. It's really become a nightly routine that I sit down and watch my dvds before I sleep. It helps me to wind down....and well, besides bringing laughter and entertainment....I do feel that there are lessons to be learnt in these shows too. Afterall, the best shows are those that pple can relate strongly to. :)

So far...the shows that have kept me up at night are: Frasier, Friends (classic lah!), Seinfeld, Buffy, Felicity, and Alias (!!!).

5) I've gotten an aromatherapy massage at the Amrita Spa (Raffles the Plaza). This was about 2 wks back. It was free, cos Lishan had a $100 voucher. How shiok rite?? haha! It was absolutely heaven.....i want to go bk!!!

6) I've been trying to cook more...even though it's only been baby steps with portobello mushrooms (with cheese and italian herbs), and pasta (Marks n Spencer has lovely sauces!).

7) I realize how much my grandma and aunts really love me, as reflected from their generous, sacrificial actions.

8) My life has been an exhausting emotional roller-coaster since Jan.....yes, a lot of you have commented on how drama my life is. Relationships, friendships, family probs, new responsibilites at work etc. But it's not been 'exciting' as you think.....just really draining. Never had to go thru so much drama before, in a span of a few mths. I just pray I don't become numb at the end of it all.

9) Old and new friendships have really been subjected to harsh tests. It's been painful seeing some friendships (that in my mind were seemingly strong) crumble and turn sour.....it was heartbreaking to be misunderstood and worse still, betrayed. It showed me that relationships are so volatile and unpredictable......and that there are so many sides to pple, some aspects of their characters only appear in certain circumstances. It's been shocking.....hurtful....and certainly made me re-evaluate the notion of trust. The ones closest to you, are the ones who hurt you most.

On the flip-side...it's during times of crisis that you see who your real friends are.....these are the ones who really go the extra mile for you, who will truly stand by you, those who REALLY know the real you, and they come out as gold in these awful situations. Thank you, you know who you are. :) Well...with regards to friendships.....as cliche as it is....you win some, you lose some.

9) I'm not one who opens up easily to pple.....I really only let a select few into my inner world. But once I do....it's usually a very deep connection. I've discovered that i live to make that meaningful connection with people! That's why I love to sing, teach, and write. :)

10) I remember a dear bro mentioning this to me end of last yr. "You're stronger than you think you are" (this was after I told him in exasperation that I was sick of being strong for myself...for so long). But now I realize that what he says is true....and it probably applies for a lot of you out there as well. We'll all go thru our times of testing....I like to quote Bono from U2. "It's just a moment, this moment will pass."

11) I've been appreciating my students all over again. Thank God for students who cheer me up, crack ridiculously funny jokes in class, and encourage me with their warm affirmation.

12) I've made more long-distance phonecalls/ smses in the past few mths, than I've ever made in my entire life. Specifically, to Australia....where Pam and Audrey are, my precious ones. :) Indeed, mere distance will not come between true friendships

13) Ever since I've gotten my new MacBook and iPod....i've gotten a bit better at techy language/specs. (eh, last time, i didn't even know wot RAM or wot a USB port was!) Of course, huge amt of credit must go to May...who is like my friendly, neighbourhood IT consultant. She knows everything mann!!! hurhur!

14) I've eaten prata more often than I usually do in the past few mths. Thanks to May again! The Roti Prata shop at Thomson road has become our hang-out place for many late nites now....and we've had a few strange encounters with the staff there too.We concluded that the staff there are suffering from serious lack of sleep (since its 24 hrs), which is why they look and act like they're high on drugs, and say the weirdest things to us.

15) Going to Ikea is therapeutic for me. I thoroughly enjoy it. Mustafa is quite exciting too!! :) Rie and I had the most fun with our little game of "who can find the ugliest hand-bag" there.

16) I've been at my most productive creatively in the past 2 mths. Have never written SO MUCH poetry before!. The emotional drama has been a trigger...and the writing has proved to be an important avenue of release for me.

17) My drawer has accumulated lotsa new jewellery lately...courtesy of my grandma who has passed down to me her vintage jewellery, and her diamond bracelet. (i am a sucker for bling!)

18) For those of you dunno yet, my house has been sold. And I will be moving soon, to my grandma's place. ('room-warming' gifts will be appreciated). Uprooting from Bishan to Hougang will be sad....cos May and Rie are all around the thomson area. Bleahhh. No more Liquid Kitchen/ prata at thomson.

19) I've gotten addicted to "Blueberry muffin cereal" from Post. It's like summer in a bowl. :)
Interestingly, I got the urge to buy cereal cos I saw Sean, Julie, and Ben eating it for breakfast on "Felicity". haha! Then Bernice recommended that I try this cereal.

20) I've applied eye-cream/face-cream/ facial mask more than ever......the company shld give us gals a cosmetics/beauty pdts allowance I say. haha!

21) I actually completed a bk!!! Philip Yancey's "Rumours of another world". It's not that I read slowly...but it's tough to keep up the reading when you're working. So completing this bk is quite an accomplishment. I'm now on my 2nd Yancey bk. Yay!


I now tag: Audrey, Andrea, May (ehhh, u kena tagged TWICE! ha!), Steph, Pammy!

No comments: