Sunday, March 16, 2008

"All you have to do is listen..."

I had the most amazing weekend!! *huge smile on face* On Fri, Berno, Abi and her sis Steph and I had a fantastic lunch at Cedele, Wheelock Place. (remember I couldn't eat much for a week cos of stomach flu). Oh man the blueberry pancakes!!!! *heaven* Then after lunch, we headed to Lido to catch August Rush! [Yes, Abi beat me to blog abt it]

It's prob the best movie that I've watched since LOTR.....it really moved and impacted me so deeply. *sigh* In fact, we all loved it so much, that when the movie ended, all of us simultaneously cried out "I WANNA WATCH IT AGAIN!" haha! And I really did watch it again...on Sat, with Jason, who really really loved it too. :) Even on the second viewing, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and just soaked it all in. I'm so buying the DVD when it comes out!

You can watch the trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/augustrush/trailer1/
The plot is loosely based on Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist- it's about a young boy who grows up in a Boys' Home, and he goes on this arduous search for his parents (mum's a Cellist, dad's the lead singer/guitarist in a rock band). In his journey, he disovers his own musical giftings too....and it turns out that he's really a child prodigy! Along the way, he also inspires and touches various characters with his pure heart and sensitive soul.

August Rush....as played by the talented Freddie Highmore.

Gosh, I love this movie so much....I know it has its cheesy moments/lines, but I'm gonna write a list of reasons why I love it anyway. haha! Trust me, its easier for you to read this in point form anyway.

1) It's a movie about musicians, and how music is that universal, harmonic connection between us all.
- the critics dissed this movie I know, but musos will totally GET IT! :) After watching this movie, you start to remember why you love music and play it in the first place.
- Curiously, after the film....Abi, Berno and I found ourselves swaying in unison to a 6/8 tune in our heads as we had snacks at Macs. But it wasn't planned or anything, and nobody was singing out loud...and goodness knows how we managed to hear the music in each other's heads. There wasn't even a 6/8 song in the movie score. haha! Thank God for fwens like dat! Amazing eh?

2) It accurately captures every musicians dream! haha! To fall in love with and marry a fellow muso, and to hit musical cum genetic jackpot when your kid turns out to be a freaking musical child prodigy!

The loaded scene where August Rush encounters his Dad in a park, but they don't know they're related yet! Father and son start jamming together on their guitars....it's so sweet and surreal. After that, Dad leaves his son with a piece of advice....
"Never give up on your music. It's that one place where you can escape to...and just release. I had to learn that the hard way."

*sigh* Do I have to say more???

3) The movie stars the beautiful Keri Russell!! Remember Felicity from our JC days? I grew up with her on TV!! I love her! And she plays the cello, which I've always wanted to play.

4) The music in the film is absolutely awesome! The way they seamlessly interweaved both rock and classical elements into the score was just excellent! The guitar playing is just jaw dropping too. OH! And there is gospel music as well...which I am currently exploring. :) I felt quite moved when that scene came up in the film....felt like it was God's little surprise gift for me. Much needed too after a very down week.

5) August Rush's character gets to attend Julliard.....I sure wish I was talented enough to attd Julliard. AHHHH!!! I miss studying more music. The stimulation! The moments of inspiration!

6) Thematically....this movie really did it in for me. :) It's all about love and hope....never giving up on the dreams that God has placed in your heart. It might take time to come to pass....but God will see us through. And right now, I'm putting my hope in Him for I know that He's still writing the story of my life. :)

It's about restoring that sense of magic and wonder in daily life. As the movie's slogan goes....

"The music is everywhere....all you have to do is listen."


After the movie...Abi and I even bought the soundtracks!! She and her sister, Steph started screaming excitedly at Mustafa when I called her to say I found the soundtrack! *mad* And its on repeat mode now. haha! We got quite high that night....and here's a sneak at our insane msn conversation:

Mich: Abiiii!! Do you get it?? It's a musicians' dream come true!!
Abi: Yes, yes I GET IT!!
Mich: Are you listeninggggg Abi???
Abi: Yes I am, I can hear it!! [the music]
Mich: Are you listeningggg??
Abi: YES YES!!

7) On a final note, the film really pointed me back to God again. :) I'm falling in love all over again with the giver and creator of music Himself.....I've been walking around with a smile on my face these days because I'm reminded that my God sings over me, and He's the one who put that song in my heart. Thank you so much God! For this beautiful gift that connects us to each other and to You, above all.

Do catch this precious gem of a movie before it ends its run in a few days. :) Goodnight folks...and "harmonic dreams"! :)

[Oh...I caught the "Greek Masterpieces from the Lourve" exhibit at the Singapore History Museum today too! But I will blog on it another time. So all in all, it's been a wonderful weekend filled with the beautiful company of dear fwens, and fuelled with moments of artistic inspiration. Michelle is very happy and contented. :)]

2 comments:

extravaganza said...

i'm totally crazy over the soundtrack of this movie.... i LOVEEEE YOU MICH for buying the soundtrack for me!

Michelle-Lea said...

You still owe me $19.90 for the CD! haha! Owe money pay money! I should hang chicken head outside your house door. (Jason says chicken head cos we don't eat pork...so no pig head. haha!)