Thursday, August 28, 2008

Arise

My students have been blowing me away lately...especially those at the highest level, AWD2. It's been surreal seeing how much they've grown over the past 15 months....and so rewarding. :)

The past week, I heard my students compose new songs on their own (i'm so proud of them)...
T sing with new tenderness and richness in her expression.....I heard A lead worship with great passion, and sing a powerful new song which sounded so prophetic that everyone got goosebumps.....and then there was 18 yr old J, one of my favourites, lead worship with such sincerity that from his first note, I wanted to cry. I mean the boy's got an amazing voice, but what moved me was how humbly and authentically he led from his relationship with Jesus.

It's quite rare that I see someone's heart shine so clearly and beautifully from their worship leading. That boy has got a real gift, God's hand is so clearly on his life. As the time of worship with Paul Baloche's "Your Name" came to a close, God's presence was thick in the air....and the whole class was just singing "Jesus" over and over again in a beautiful chorus. We were quite speechless after that. Everyone knew something special had taken place.

After I dismissed the class, I decided to speak to J privately, just to give him some words of encouragement cos I sensed that he was still quite fearful about stepping boldly into the role of a leader. As the words came out, I felt so proud of him...I found myself holding back the tears. And I could see the tears in his eyes too. OMG, that was such a classic "teacher moment".

This is why I do what I do.... :)

No comments: