Monday, February 16, 2009

The Next Generation

A blog post by Craig Groeschel that I felt was both thought-provoking and encouraging, especially for those who are serving in youth/ young adult ministries. By the time he made his final point, I was getting the chills. :)


==================================================================
"The Next Generation" by Craig Groeschel

A lot of people believe the next generation will very difficult to reach with the Gospel. I disagree. From my perspective, the coming generation is positioned to be reached and shaped for Kingdom greatness. Let’s build a foundation for our discussion on reaching the next generation.

Here are a few of my observations of the coming generation:

  • Their world is smaller and their perspective is broader. Because of technology, most have been raised with a global mindset. My best friend lived across the street. Their best friend might live across the ocean.
  • They have a wider definition of “friends”. To me a friend was someone you spent time with and confided in. Today a friend can be someone you may not have ever met before they clicked on your Facebook page and asked to be your friend.
  • They’re more experiential. Most in my generation were into accumulating possessions. Many of the younger generation are into accumulating experiences. I read about other countries in school. Many in this generation have visited the countries I read about.
  • Most have been under-challenged. Many in this generation have been given much yet they’ve been challenged little. They have more potential than most realize.
  • Their world is gray. I was raised believing in absolute truth. Many in the up- coming generation believe truth is relative. “What is true for me may not be true for you.”
  • They’re searching for a cause. This generation is looking for something (anything) worthwhile to live for. When they find a cause, they’ll go to extreme measures to make a difference.

When you put all these differences together, I see a generation ready to know Christ and the power of His resurrection.

No comments: