Sunday, May 24, 2009

Disney Wonderland

This is the 2nd blog post from my very special guest blogger, Dawnieeeee, who just got back from Tokyo. :) I personally think its the best blog post I've read in ages, because it just clicked with the very dreamy, idealistic side of me (my heart is Disney at the core), and it made my world all bright, shiny and hopeful again. :) As Dawnie said, "I think i'm now world weary, and Disney made me feel like life has meaning." haha!

Another plus is that Gabe Bondoc (videos below) sang the very song that sparked my love for music & singing in the first place, "Part of your world," from the Little Mermaid. I used to sing all the songs by heart as a wee little girl, and I even have the DVD now. :) The Gabe videos are so fun! Try singing along with him ok? Enjoy!

=================================================================
By Dawn Wong

I never thought I'd say this, but I love Disney. Disney is neither tacky nor childish, it is just wonderful. The happiest day in Tokyo for me was spent at Tokyo DisneySEA, the water-themed park just next to Tokyo Disneyland. The moment I stepped into the Disney Resort Line (aka train) bringing us into the theme park, and saw the Mickey Mouse-shaped windows and handles in the train, I just felt my heart kick back and relax. It was pure bliss catching all the musicals, on land and on water, and waving non-stop to Mickey, Minnie, Donald Duck, Daisy, Chip & Dale, Goofy and Pinocchio. Even though most of it was in Japanese, I still sorta understood what was going on, because it was Disney. I know Ariel in The Little Mermaid... I know the Genie in Aladdin... I know the songs, the sounds, the stories...you tell it in a different language, I still know them. Because I grew up with them, starting with the Ladybird books that I used to read as a child. And therein lies the beauty of Disney's animated stories and universal themes of love, play and beauty. Or so I would like to think. Well, anyways, it so happened when I returned that youtube celeb Gabe Bondoc has been recording his Disney covers too! Oh my...they are veryveryvery lovely. He is the second person I know to choke over songs (the first is Mich, you cry), and he chokes over Disney's songs. Awww...

The first is Part Of Your World, originally sung by Ariel in The Little Mermaid. The second is really fun - A Whole New World - where Gabe sings only one part and lets you, the audience, sing the other half of the duet. I had a blast singing along with him, though the range is totally out for me - I either need to screech or sing damn low. Haha. Enjoy :)




No comments: