Monday, May 04, 2009

The Love of Musical Beauty


"Chris & I bonded over the love of musical beauty"
-
John Mayer, on his collaboration with Chris Botti.

I was watching the Behind the Scenes feature on the "Chris Botti in Boston" dvd, when I heard John Mayer drop this line from his lips casually. "The love of musical beauty"-that perfectly sums up what I feel each time I listen to Chris Botti's music, which is so refined and sophisticated that it obviously comes from a place of passion & commitment to his craft.

What's up with the artist's obsession with beauty anyway? Well, I think its because beauty in art reminds us to step away from the daily grind, and to simply let our soul breathe, heal & rejuvenate. Art persuades us to look at the world afresh with wonder, and in its sublime beauty, provides us with a glorious glimpse of heaven & the Creator.

No comments: