Tuesday, October 25, 2005

"The Beautiful Letdown"

This entry is for Audrey who asked an excellent qn. :) Thanks for that....I was blessed by the time I spent reflecting on these amazing bible verses.

====================================================================

I just learnt a new word from the brilliant Oxford English Dictionary tdy:

"Solipsism"- n. view that self is all that exists or can be known.

Hmmm....what a dangerous world-view....but it prob sounds like a familiar mode of outlook for many of us, from time to time. Sometimes we need to be kicked in the butt...and be reminded that the world does NOT revolve around us afterall, and that there are things that are far more impt than our own happiness. A God who is so much worthier to live for...than ourselves.

And as we lift our eyes heavenwards, or as we take time to see God in all of creation... we are reminded that we are all spiritual beings, "immortals" in fact, according to C.S Lewis. And our true country is heaven. We're just sojourners passing through this earth. :) Knowing that we are called to be a holy nation, and that we have an inheritance in heaven...how then should we live?

I pray that these passages from the Word of God, will resonate powerfully in my heart, and my life...

===================================================================

Phil 3:20: "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ"

2 Corin 4:18 "we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

Colossians 1:16-18 "For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones of dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the first-born from the dead, that in all things He may have preeminence."

Colossians 3:1-4 "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory."

1 Peter 1:3-5 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvellous light"

Ephesians 2:4-6 "But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loves us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus"

Hebrews 12:28 "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear."


=================================================================

"The Beautiful Letdown" (Switchfoot)
------------------------------------

It was a beautiful letdown
When I crashed and burned
When I found myself alone, unknown and hurt

It was a beautiful letdown
the day I knew
that all the riches this world had to offer me
would never do

In a world full of bitter pain
and bitter doubt
I was trying so hard to fit in,
until I found out

I don't belong here
I don't belong here
I will carry a cross and a song
where I don't belong

It was a beautiful letdown
When you found me here
and for once in a rare blue moon
I see everything clear

I'll be a beautiful letdown
That's where I'll forever be
and though it may cost my soul
I'll sing for free.

We're still chasing our tails
and the rising sun
and our dark water planet
still spins in a race
where no one wins
and no one's one

I don't belong here
I don't belong here
I'm gonna set sight
and set sail for the kingdom come
Your kingdom come
Won't you let me down!
Let my foolish pride forever let me down

No comments: