Friday, September 05, 2008

Desert Song


Last night I fell into one of my emo spells.....think it was partly due to me feeling tired and spent from an immensely heavy work week. Its Friday (technically my off day) but I'm still working away on a pile of undone reports and grading. When I'm unproductive, I feel lousy about myself; when I can't spend enough time with close frens and family, I feel rather guilty; and when I'm unable to carve out time to create music, or work on my writing, I can get quite depressed. I'm not being indulgent or egoistic....it's just an innate need, a neccessary release. I think some of you fellow musos/artists will get what I mean.

I like how Brooke Fraser describes it.
"I write songs because I love to, but I mainly write songs because I can’t not. There is a fire in my belly and a word in my mouth that I didn’t put there, therefore I can’t take it away, no matter how much it hurts sometimes. God’s Word says that His gifts and call are irrevocable."

As I walk through this 'desert place'...I'm constantly looking towards God to renew my strength and hope in Him. This song by Brooke Fraser really expresses my heart's cry in this season.


This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

Chorus:
I will bring praise, I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice, I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

Bridge:
All of my life in every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

2 comments:

Andrea Khoo said...

Can see your handwritten notes at the top of the score, haha! That was a fun afternoon :) Hope you're feeling better today...

Michelle-Lea said...

haha! Think you're the only one who will recognise it. I was hoping the notes wouldn't be too obvious. And I used iPhoto to edit it for the antique finish, and the blurred edges. Can u see??

I'm feeling a bit better...clearing the REVEAL report liao. :)