Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Awakening the Dawn


I'm listening to the smashing sounds of Dave Matthews Band (live) as I write this post...
And yeah, it's really putting me in the mood. :)
[Hey the Agents: DMB is PERFECT Aussie road trip music!! I'm so hyped about it. 30 more days!!!]
So here we are, the very first day of 2008.
No fireworks or anything spectacular....
Just a sense of quiet, steely (I hope) determination
to face the days ahead.

To be honest, I remember starting 2007 with a sense of hesitation....fear even, of what it would hold for me. Afterall, 2006 was pretty shitty and I barely made it through. So at the start of 2007, I was merely praying "God...please be kind to me this year. I just want some peace and quiet." Alright...so that was a bit pathetic. haha! But those who were with me through that ride would perfectly understand why.

Did 2007 turn out as I had hoped? haha! It hardly ever does right?
Well....to summarise it in the words of the famous 'philosopher' M. Jagger:
"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well you might find
You get what you need"

If you get it...you get it yeah?

This year...I want so much more than just to survive, or get by.
I know that there are some pretty huge challenges ahead of me in 2008.
A new music ministry at Riverlife church to ease myself into...
New directions at work, challenging, new projects to possibly anchor.
And other personal stuff that I won't post up here.
I'm not sure where the road will lead....
And I'm not exactly one who embraces the lack of certainty.

But as I begin the year, I refuse to give in to fear or doubt.
I choose faith and courage.
I choose to embrace the journey ahead in all its possible glorious chaos.
Afterall, I must remember whose I am, and thus who I am.

In C.S Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia", there's this quote about Aslan,
"Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe, but He's good. He's the King I tell you!"

Oh yeah....so I ain't expecting a safe ride no more.
(I'll bet God is up there winking right now)
I'm quite sure that God's penning the adventure of my life
as I follow His leading.
I'm stepping into the shoes of the "Eowyn" warrior princess
that my King has called me to be.
I will arise...
I will awaken the dawn. :)
(In modern lingo: "Rock' n' roll baby! Bring it on! :p)

Psalm 57: 7-11
=============
My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and give praise.
Awake, my glory!
Awake, lute and harp!
I will awaken the dawn.

I will praise You, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing to You among the nations.
For Your mercy reaches unto the heavens,
And Your truth unto the clouds.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
Let Your glory be above all the earth..

1 comment:

Andrea Khoo said...

Hello Purple Fwen,

Thought this might inspire you for 2008:

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

:)