Thursday, January 10, 2008

Books Actually


"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.

After that I liked jazz music.

Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.

I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened."
- 'Blue like Jazz' by Donald Miller

Michelle is very excited...she just bought a new Donald Miller book, "Blue Like Jazz". She's looking forward to plunge right into it and let his breathtaking prose blow her away. :)
Term has started but it seems like my appetite for reading hasn't been satiated yet. Two books which I've recently completed are "Captivating- Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by John and Stasi Eldredge, and "Wild at Heart- Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul" by John Eldredge.



Reviews of the 2 books will reveal that people tend to either love or hate them. So far, I haven't found any Christian literature for women appealing or impactful at all. They tend to be too unfocussed or emotional and yeah, just plain annoying or cheesy. haha! Yeah, so I was pleasantly surprised by "Captivating" and "Wild at Heart" (the male version). [Thanks Jason for the recommendation!] I personally think that the books were very insightful, inspiring and healing. Basically, they're a must read for everyone. :) It lends one more self-awareness and also helps us to understand and relate better to people in general. And that's always helpful isn't it? Plus they're really easy to read (I finished "Captivating" in two sittings).

So give these books a read! They really made my heart come alive once again. :) God has indeed planted certain desires and passions in our hearts for a reason. Alritey....I'm going to head back to them books now....they're my good fwens!! :)

No comments: