Monday, May 08, 2006

Eyes of Faith

From "Rumours Of Another World" by Philip Yancey:
===================================================
"One man succeeds in everything, and so loses all.
Another meets with nothing but crosses and disappointments,
and thereby gains more than all the world is worth." - William Law

"We see either the dust on the window
or the view beyond the window,
but never the window itself."- Simone Weil

" A book titled 'The Body Project' points out the modern fixation on the body and external appearance by comparing the diaries of adolescent girls from a century ago to those of modern times. One typical girl of the 1890s wrote, "Resolved, to think before speaking. To work seriously. To be self-restrained in conversations and actions. Not to let my thoughts wander. To be dignified. Interest myself more in others."

Her counterpart in the 1990s recorded these goals: "I will try to make myself better in any way I possibly can...I will lose weight, get new lenses, already got new haircut, good make-up, new clothes and accessories."

No comments: