Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Grace Notes

"Grace....a gift that costs everything for the giver and nothing for the recipient"- Philip Yancey

"O momentary grace of mortal men,
Which we more hunt for than the grace of God." - Shakespeare, Richard III

Lewis Smedes, a professor in Psychology at Fuller Theological Seminary, wrote an entire book drawing connections between shame and grace (titled, appropriately, Shame and Grace). For him, "Guilt was not my problem as I felt it. What I felt most was a glob of unworthiness that I could not tie down to any concrete sins I was guilty of. What I needed more than pardon was a sense that God accepted me, owned me, held me, affirmed me, and would never go of me even if he was not too much impressed with what he had on his hands."

" I know nothing, except what everyone know-
if there when Grace dances, I should dance." - W. H Auden

No comments: