Thursday, July 10, 2008

Alarice@ The Waterfront

"Away, away, away
Here is where I wanna stay
away, away, away
With you my love"
- 'Away' by Alarice Thio

Last Sun evening, a bunch of us made our way down to watch S'porean-Aussie-NZ singer-songwriter Alarice at the Esplanade outdoor stage. Nigel was playing guitar for her once again, so I went down to support my bro too. :) It was a relaxing and breezy night filled with great music as Alarice enthralled us with her original compositions (and such little gems they are too), plus some covers such as "Love will keep us alive" (by The Eagles), "Man the mirror" (MJ), and "Bless the Broken Road". Alarice even did a cover of Brooke Fraser's "Indelible". I gave an involuntary squeak of excitement when she introduced the song. Muffin was very amused by it. haha! Do you know how hard it is to sing Brooke Fraser's songs??? But Alarice pulled it off. *respect*

I must say, it's really encouraging to see such genuine young talent emerge. And I think mebbe the folk singer deep inside of me is still holding fast to the rule that the best singers are those who can shine in the acoustic setting. eg. Sarah MacLachlan, Brooke Fraser, Paula Cole. None of that overly engineered stuff for me. And I think Alarice really proved my theory. Her voice is just gorgeous live... and so versatile. She doesn't need much more than an acoustic guitar to pull off a gig really. Inspiring stuff!

[Dawnie...we must jam lah when you come back from HK!! Itchy liao! You go practise 'Colour' hor? hee!]

Here are some snapshots of the evening....photos courtesy of Bassist Boy aka Jason W, who got a lovely, personalised autograph on his cd from Alarice for being the official photographer. I also want. *jealous*. Ah well, but Nigel did introduce us to her, so it was nice talking to her for a bit. :)

[You can view the rest of Jason's photos and his blog entry on Alarice's gig here: http://darkred.multiply.com/ ]

Alarice tuning up

Taking the stage

The full band, rearing to go

Alarice

Nigel...playing his fierce looking Gibson guitar. He had many other cool guits for that nite too

The rhythm section

Leonard on bass

Audrey Tang on percussions

Nigel!!! :) Playing from the heart.


Nigel, myself, Muffin and his frens

Group shot with Alarice!

No comments: