Monday, June 02, 2008

Hope is coming for me

Things have gotten a bit hectic for me to sit down and blog....and I really should be sleeping now, but I feel very strange indeed if I don't get to pen my thoughts down at some point. So here I am, lying on my bed and blogging about the very busy week that passed. :)

I fell sick (ok yes again) with the flu earlier in the week....which got me all worried cos I knew I had to sing for svce on Sun. Other than that, I don't remember much of the work week. It usually passes by in a quick blur.

On Fri, I got my music fix when I attended a jazz concert by M'sian singer-songwriter, Mia Palencia, with my Olive Green Fwen Erica. Mia and the band members were Erica's music college mates in KL, so she wanted to go down and support them. We had a nice dinner of rice paper rolls, Duck Noodle Soup/ Beef Noodle Soup at Siem Reap, Empress Place...after which we headed down to the Arts House hall next door for the concert. Erica's frens joined us there as well. It was a very beautiful (think grand, white columns and lush, red curtains) but small hall. There were probably only 40 people or less in that room...which made it more intimate I suppose. We got seats right in front of the gorgeous stage. Mia Palencia surprised me with her thick, soulful vocals and original compositions. Even her covers were done pretty well, eg. she performed a classy bossa version of a Maroon 5's "Won't go home without you"! I wish the set was longer than its 45 mins though.

Sat was largely a family affair with my aunts and cousins from Sabah. (Gosh, I'm spending my weekend with all these M'sians!) They're in town for my sister's wedding this Sat. After work, I headed down to Ikea Tampines to meet them. We had ice-cream and coffee at Haagen Daaz, Tampines Mall....shopped for a bit before having a long dinner at Seletar Country Club. I'm not particularly close to my parents, cos most of you know how my parents are like....but I always love hanging out with my aunts and cousins. I get this warm and fuzzy familial feeling whenever I'm with them. They love and support me unconditionally, and they're open and free with their hugs and kisses. I wish they were here more often.

I sang for 2 svces on Sun which is always fun and fulfilling, even with the severe lack of sleep. I never tire of seeing the church love on God during worship. It's the most beautiful sight on earth. :) I'll admit though, singing was quite difficult initially during the sound check, cos of the throat infection I had from the stupid flu....but the band prayed for me, and it gradually got better. Think God was building my faith in Him too....as the healer of my heart, mind and body. I'm learning Daddy...to just trust and obey You, to empty myself, and be the vessel in which You flow through. :)

After svce ended, I rushed down to meet Berno and Henry Choo at Cathay, to watch The Chronicles of Narnia: The Prince of Caspian. I dunno why I agreed to it, cos I was pretty much ready to crash after waking up at 6am, and singing for 2 svces. Anyway, no regrets cos I loved every bit of it....I found it very inspiring and funny as well. I don't wanna ruin it for those who haven't watched it yet, but Pt 2 really has more comic relief than the first film. Watch out for the mice. Hilarious! There are so many spiritual themes that C.S Lewis has woven into the story, but this one hit home for me.

We all need to live for something larger than ourselves. I was tearing during the battle scenes, cos I was so moved by the fierce passion that the characters had in defending their people and land. The truth is, there IS a battle going on everyday, although we need to see with our spiritual eyes, and we ALL have a part to play, no matter how young or small. Often, there is a sacrifice, a cost that we have to pay for the greater good, or to prove ourselves worthy....but that's when we come alive and become the best versions of ourselves isn't it? When we have something to believe in, to fight for and even lay down our lives for.

And then, there is faith....do you believe? I love how Brooke Fraser encapsulated C.S Lewis's writings in these lines of her song, simply titled, "C.S Lewis Song":
"Hope is coming for me, He's coming for me."

Her song should have been included in the official Narnia soundtrack...along with the Switchfoot song, "This is Home."

Aslan talks to Lucy Pevensie of what lies ahead in her adventure.

After the movie, Berno, Henry Choo and I went to Yamaha, Plaza Sing to play on their pianos, clavis and keyboards. Yes, we just love doing that....testing out instruments which we can't afford. haha! I was trying out this expensive ($12 000) clavi that's shaped as a mini grand piano.....and it made me miss my old mini grand piano so much. At one point, I was like going "ohhh" and stretching my arms out to caress it and Berno laughed and said, "she wants to hug it!" So funny that girl. :)

Henry Choo is wicked on the keys btw....he was like going wild with the jazzy chords, while me and Berno watched on with resigned sighs. Resignation turned to madness as we started to 'head bang' to egg him on with his elaborate runs. haha!

So that's my week....tiring, but I like to think of it as a very full one. :)

No comments: