Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lifesongs

Alarice & Nigel

Last night I headed down to Acts Centre for the 2nd Christian Songwriters Showcase to support some dear frens. Danny was playing for Adeline, and Nigel was playing for Alarice Thio (she's S'porean but based in Melbourne). It was nice hanging out with fellow music kakis Muffin Boy & Dawnie....and bumping into old students/ acquaintances in the crowd. The worship min community is very small in Singapore. haha!

I can't believe Alarice Thio is all but 21 yrs old...and that she has no musical training. Sucks doesn't it?? Well, she's got awesome voice control, and is so natural. In terms of sound and style....she's kinda like a mix between Marie Digby and Brooke Fraser. Great young talent. In fact, Dawnie next to me was going "Hor tia" ('nice to listen to' in Hokkien) when Alarice sang her first note. Dawnie, ever the Ah Lian at heart, is so cute lah. :)

We all had our 'melty' moments. :) One of mine came quite unexpectedly when Nigel started slapping his guitar (like 'August Rush!') for the intro of Alarice's song, 'Away'. So nice lor!! I got goosebumps. haha! Another one of her songs that spoke to me in this season was 'Believe':
"What I see, is in front of me
The plans You have for me
If I just believe"

I think this little evening filled my tank quite a bit. :) It's always encouraging to see fellow believers share their journeys & lifesongs. Reminded me that every song written with a sincere heart is precious in the eyes of God. [Keep it up Ade, if you're reading this! :)]
I was inspired to get down to writing my own songs....and I think the evening reminded some of us to do something concrete about our gigging plans. haha!

Well, I'll prob be heading down to catch Alarice again (with a full band this time) for her next Esplanade gig, 6 July, 7.30pm & 8. 45pm at the Outdoor Powerhouse stage. If you wanna join me, just let me know. :)

You can go listen to some of Alarice's songs, and see her other performance dates from her myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/alaricemusic

No comments: