Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Reflections

It's Christmas Eve...and the weather's a tad chilly and dreary outside, but the heart is filled with otherworldly warmth and joy. :) I spent the first few hours of Christmas Eve (as in around 1am) exchanging early Christmas greetings with good fwens online, and wrapping presents for my mummy and daddy. After that, I decided to watch the CompassionArt dvd, which was really inspiring and stimulating. I seriously couldn't sleep after that, and it was already 3am.

I felt compelled to spend some time with God in prayer....and I wasn't really sure how that would turn out, but I did it anyway. And then He gave me my vision for 2009, something I wasn't really thinking about to be honest. If 2008 was about learning to adventure with God, then 2009 was about releasing my art and my compassion, growing intentionally in my craft, and living out what we sing. I guess sometimes I get restless and moody because deep within, I have this need to create. And its something I haven't been able to fulfill lately.

And then, God surfaced all those tricky issues that we creative types sometimes struggle with....like building my ministry vs His ministry....writing songs/singing/serving etc. for the approval and applause of men....getting involved in Compassion and Justice ministry to gratify my inner "hero complex" etc. I laid down all my hidden agendas before Him...and yes, it was ugly, but necessary. I laid down my talents before Him, prayed for humility and wisdom, and that He would use the little I had for His glory.

Strangely enough, I felt this blanket of relief come over me. Like the weight of my self-agenda had been lifted off. And then the words started to flow....like my mind started to explode with an array of creative lyrical ideas, which I jotted down in my trusty moleskine notebook.

Then God gently prompted me to play the keyboard. At this point, it was close to 4am. So I went, "are you kidding me??" (haha!) And I believe He said something like, "do you not believe that I will bless you with a melody?" And yes, to be honest, I was a little doubtful because if you know me, I'm pretty ok with penning lyrics, but I've always struggled with the melodies when it comes to songwriting. But anyway, I headed to the keyboard (and turned the volume real low) and started tinkering around. The melodic ideas came pretty easily...and now I have a very raw skeleton to a possible song, with chord progressions and some lyrical ideas.

I didn't come away immediately with a song last night, but that short experience ushered me into the whole realm of songwriting which has illuded me for quite a long while. It felt like a mini workshop from God (seriously!), cos at every turn, He was whispering ideas and tips to me on how to make it better. And I treasure that learning experience. :) What an exciting way to start the year. :)

When I woke up this afternoon, the air was all abuzz with good tidings. haha! Muffin msged me to say that Jason Mraz was coming in March for a full-length concert at the Singapore Indoor Stadium! It really really tickled me cos I was just telling Dawnie that we should wait before buying more Mosaic festival tix, cos more new acts will be released later. And what if Jason Mraz were to come back again? But of course that was just a joke. BUT NOW, its coming true!!! haha! This is so funny. So after that I called up Glenn and Dawnie to share the good news. Dawnie couldn't stop saying "yay! yay!" which was so cute. haha!

(btw, go watch Jason Mraz's insane Christmas video. Hilarious.]

And then I came online to check my mail, and found out that our dear Corrinne May is six months pregnant with a baby girl, who's due in April!! I suspected it lah due her long silence of late. But I'm so so happy for her! :)

Alritey folks....that's all I wanna say now. I'm gonna get ready for my Christmas eve dinner and gig @ Timbre Old School with Dawnie, Muffin and Andie. After that we might be going over to watch Reggie and Jeremy play a Christmas gig on Chijmes Lawn with some of the other RiverLifers. I'm so thankful for this community. :)

Blessed Christmas folks....and may your hearts be aglow with the light of Christ. :)
I love you! *hugz*

No comments: